Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Facebook. You're all a bunch of liars.

I was one of the last people I know to join the Cult of Facebook.

The first thing I noticed is that many people on Facebook are Friend Collectors.  This bothers me.

Right now, I have about 112 friends (after a recent purge), but I'd probably have closer to 150 if I had accepted everyone who friended me.  Look, if you couldn't be bothered with me in high school, or vice versa, and I haven't seen or spoken to you since, I most likely do not want to be your friend on Facebook.  If I see you in my daily life, but we pretty much never say hello to each other, let alone have a conversation, I do not want to be your friend on Facebook.  I'm not even sorry if this sounds harsh.  It's just the way it is.

Facebook has turned people into a bunch of BIG FAT LIARS.  People accept "friendships" because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings.  Really?  Someone you barely know, and maybe don't even LIKE, and probably wouldn't stop to talk to on the street (or in a HALLWAY)??? People become "fans" of pages for similar reasons.  You don't like the person, you're "not a fan", they're certainly NOT talented, yet you become a fan of their page anyway?  Seriously, how come???  Because they SUGGESTED that you do?

I've had it with this crap.  Recently, some of my "friends" (not just on Facebook, but in real life) have participated in some of the activities above that have resulted in my feelings being hurt.  Even though I got over it quickly, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  I ALMOST deleted my Facebook page.  But instead, I just "unfriended" some peeps.  Maybe it's petty, I don't know, I don't care. If they aren't concerned with my feelings, and what I may see on their pages, or on the "news feed", then I'm not that concerned about how they might feel if I "unfriend" them.

No comments:

Post a Comment